Section 4: Student Forms and FAQs

Our FAQs below are designed to help you if you’re not too sure what you’re looking for.

If you need to fill out a form and you know which form you are looking for, all our student forms can be found within Student Forms area. If you’re not sure, please read our FAQs below. 

Prospective students


Can I still apply if I don’t know my grades yet?

If your predicted grades are lower than you need for the entry requirements of the course you are interested in, don’t give up. The Admissions team may consider you based on the information expressed on your personal statement and remaining spaces during the Clearing period.

I can’t upload my supporting documents – what should I do?

Once you apply, you canl log into the Self-Service Centre (SSC) account to see your application’s progress. Under application > Summary, there is a column to upload documents. If you aren’t able to upload your documents, do not hesitate to get in touch with our Admissions team. You can email them on or call 020 7078 8790 [International: +44 20 7078 8790] for details of alternative methods.

How will my application be assessed?

All information on how we assess applications is available here. You may also appeal the decision by letter or email to: Academic Registrar, Bloomsbury Institute 7 Bedford Square London WC1B 3RA,

I am unable to get an official transcript or certificate to confirm my previous studies – what can I do? 

You can purchase a replacement from the awarding body. Alternatively, we may be able to assess your application as a non-standard applicant based on your work experience. For further guidance, email

How do Foundation Years work?

The Foundation Year is ideal for applicants who have only studied up to the GCSE level or have no formal qualifications. The Foundation Year is the first year of your four-year degree. It gets you back into learning, builds your confidence and prepares you for studying at the degree level. During the Foundation Year, we equip the students with the skills and knowledge required for undergraduate study.

In addition to modules on academic practice, working with numbers, digital skills and technology, topical global issues and cultural fluency, you will receive an introduction to the subject you’ve chosen to study.

What information do I need when making an application?

The applications differ based on your circumstances. Therefore, there is no set list of information, as the information required from an international student may vary from a UK based student. However, we distinguish our applicants into two main categories:

  • Standard Applicants – based on your previous qualifications, which meet the entry requirements.
  • Non-Standard Applicants – who do not meet the entry requirements but may be eligible for admission, subject to approval by the University of Northampton

When applying via UCAS, please refer to their website for additional guidance on supporting evidence and the application process.

When applying via our website, please read our Admissions Policy for tailored guidance.

One last thing: when making an application, it is essential to have some form of identification handy (passport, national ID, driving licence), proof of address (i.e., bills, bank statements), settlement status for home applicants or a VISA for internationals, and a cover letter and/or CV for non-standard applicants.

What happens after I’ve submitted my application?

Once you’ve submitted your application and supporting documents via the Applicant Portal, you will receive an email from us confirming its successful submission. You can track the progress of your submitted application on SSC, and a final decision on your application is sent to you by email.

I have received an offer – what happens next?

Whether you have a conditional or unconditional offer, there will be few things that you will need to do. You’ll need to respond to your offer, meet conditions and provide documents to confirm your offer. You can also start to find out more about accommodation, Visas and finances.

I didn’t secure a place on my chosen course – what are my options?

If you do not meet our entry requirements, you may qualify for admission as a Non-Standard Applicant. For entry onto a 4-year undergraduate degree that incorporates a Level 0 Foundation Year, a Non- Standard Applicant must have completed Year 11 (Key Stage 4) Secondary School or equivalent, at least two years before starting the course.

I have a criminal conviction – can I still apply?

Yes, of course. In line with our commitment to equality, diversity, and inclusion, we fully support the rehabilitation of offenders and are proud supporters of Unlock.

Assessments & Exams

I’ve been invited to sit a psychometric test. What is it, and how do I prepare?

We are trialing the use of psychometric testing during the assessment process, before the interview stage.

This pilot scheme is conducted on an ‘opt in’ basis. Applicants will be given comprehensive information about the test process and its purpose together with a copy of our Psychometric Testing Policy.

Psychometric tests can measure interests, personality, and aptitude:

  • Interest tests measure how people differ in their motivation, values, and opinions with their interests.
  • Personality tests measure how people differ in their style or manner of doing things and how they interact with their environment and other people.
  • Aptitude tests measure how people differ in their ability to perform or carry out different tasks.

How will my modules be marked?

Bloomsbury Institute marks in letter grades rather than percentage marks. This is considered to deliver the most accurate and fair outcomes for students. Whilst a broad mapping of letter grades to percentage marks is possible, you are encouraged to work in letter grades rather than attempt to convert those grades to percentage marks. The table below shows how each letter grade relates to a percentage mark. All grades from D- and above are pass grades.

Letter grade  Percentage mark
A+ 90
A 78
A- 73
B+ 68
B 65
B- 61
C+ 58
C 55
C- 51
D+ 48
D 45
D- 41
F+ 38
F 27
F- 13
H 5 [Mitigating Circumstances upheld]
G 0 [Non-Submission]
LG 0 [Late Submission]
NG 0 [Nothing of Merit]
AG 0 [AMP Outcome (Academic Misconduct Panel)]
ZZ N/A [Grade Withheld]

What grade do I need to pass a module?

In order to pass a module, you must achieve an overall grade of at least D- in the assessment for that module.

As you need to get a D- overall, you may still be able to pass the module if you achieve a fail grade in one item of assessment, provided that you achieve a pass grade in another item of assessment. However, if the item of assessment which you fail is weighted at (for example) 70%, it may be very difficult to pass the module.

How is my overall module grade calculated?

In order to calculate the overall module grade, for each item of assessment the University of Northampton converts each letter grade (e.g. A+) to a number (referred to as the “item value”). The following steps are then completed:

  • The relevant weighting is applied to the “item value”.
  • The weighted item values for each item of assessment are added together.
  • The total is converted back to a letter grade (using the “total module value”).

The number (i.e. the item value) to which grades are converted are not percentages. Look at columns 1 and 2 in the table below to see the number (i.e. the item value) each grade is converted to. Taking the example of a module with a 2-hour exam (weighted at 60%) and 2,000-word essay (weighted at 40%), if a student passed the exam with a D+ and the essay with a B-, the overall grade will be calculated as follows:

  • 60% of 14pts (see [1] in the table below) = 8.4pts.
  • 40% of 18pts (see [2] in the table below) = 7.2pts.
  • 4pts + 7.2pts = 15.6pts = C (see [3] in the table below).
Item grade Item value Total module value Module grade
A+ 25 24.0 or more A+
A 23 22.0 – 23.99 A
A- 21 20.5 – 21.99 A-
B+ 20 19.5 – 20.49 B+
B 19 18.5 – 19.49 B
B- 18 17.5 – 18.49 B-
C+ 17 16.5 – 17.49 C+
C 16 15.5 – 16.49 C
C- 15 14.5 – 15.49 C-
D+ 14 13.5 – 14.49 D+
D 13 12.5 – 13.49 D
D- 12 11.5 – 12.49 D-
F+ 11 9.50 – 11.49 F+
F 8 6.00 – 9.49 F
F- 4 2.00 – 5.99 F-
G 0 0.00 – 0.99 G


What does disability mean?

You are classed as having a disability under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment with a ‘substantial’ and ‘long term’ negative effect on your ability to do regular daily activity.

Many people who don’t think of themselves as having a disability who have unseen medical or mental health conditions or Specific Learning Differences can access support from staff here at Bloomsbury Institute.

Why should I tell you about a disability?

We strongly encourage you to tell us about your disability or long-term health condition. Full disclosure of a disability or long-term health condition will not affect any application to study here or any other academic review of your work. It will simply allow you to benefit from all the available support options available.

Telling us about your disability will allow us to do the following:

  • Understand the barriers you face and offer appropriate help
  • Offer reasonable adjustments and personalised support
  • Act as a point of liaison between you and your academic department to inform them about your additional support needs

Our Wellbeing & Disability Office is based at 7 Bedford Square. If you’d like to make an appointment to see our Disability and Wellbeing Advisor, Nadia, please email

Are there any allowances (adjustments) made in exams for people with disabilities / Specific Learning Differences (e.g., dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD) or long-term medical conditions?

Yes, as long as you provide satisfactory evidence of your disability, Specific Learning Differences and/or your long-term medical conditions by the relevant deadline and have discussed the arrangements required with the Disability Office, who will further create Reasonable Adjustments.

If I require support, what evidence do I need to provide?

For disabilities / long term medical conditions, medical evidence is required, issued by a qualified medical practitioner for SpLDS (dyslexia), a full diagnostic assessment by an educational psychologist or a specialist teacher holding an assessment practising certificate

I have previously experienced poor mental health: what types of support are available at Bloomsbury Institute?

In addition to our Disability Office support, we offer a wide range of help and advice such as TalkCampus, Wellbeing Workshops, and  Self-help and online resources. For more information, feel free to contact our Disability and Wellbeing Advisor at

What is DSA?

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) are non-means-tested funds to help full time and part-time home undergraduate and postgraduate students pay for extra costs they may incur whilst attend their course, as a direct result of their disability, Specific Learning Differences (e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD) or long term medical condition, including mental health issues. They are distributed by funding bodies such as the Student Loans Company, postgraduate research councils and the NHS. The allowances help with:

  • The cost of specialist assistive software and equipment
  • The expense of a non-medical personal helper
  • Other general costs such as additional printing costs
  • Extra travel costs the student must pay because of their disability.
  • How can I apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA)?

Details of how to apply for DSA are available via


Now that the UK has left the EU, what fees will apply to an applicant applying from an EU country?

UKCISA has published a pdf guide to the changes in the regulations on 11 May 2021. For more information, please click here.

International students

How and when do I apply for a Student Visa?

You can apply for a Student Visa if you’re 16 or over and want to study on a further or higher education course in the UK. You must also:

When you can apply depends on whether you’re applying from inside or outside the UK.

Applying from outside the UK: The earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before starting your course. You’ll usually get a decision on your access within 3 weeks. Applying from inside the UK: The earliest you can apply is 3 months before your course starts. You must apply before your current visa expires. Your new course must begin within 28 days of your current visa expiring. You’ll usually get a decision within 8 weeks.

What documentation do I need to submit as part of my Visa application?

When applying for a Visa, the documents required may differ on a case-by-case basis, as some applicants may need more evidence than others. For tailored guidance, please visit Student Visa –

Can someone at the university check my Visa application and supporting documents before submitting them to the Home Office?

Yes, you can contact our Compliance Manager for guidance and assistance on completing your online visa application form at +44(0)20 7078 8840 or email

Do I need to attend a pre-CAS credibility interview and have my financial documents checked before I get issued a CAS?

If you are from a non-low risk country, and you are making an application from your country of nationality or residence, you will be required to attend and pass a pre-CAS credibility interview and have your financial documents checked by our Compliance Manager before we can issue you with a CAS.

I am on a Student Visa. Can I access healthcare services for free in the UK?

Non-EEA students studying for less than 6 months are not eligible for free NHS treatment and must take out private health insurance.

Non-EEA students studying on courses longer than 6 months must pay an Immigration Health Surcharge to benefit from NHS treatment. The surcharge is paid as part of your visa application and costs £150 per year.

For further information, please visit:,

Note: You should register with a local GP as soon as you get to the university to access the primary NHS services. You can register here: NHS-register with a GP.

Please refer to the UKCISA website for more information.

I am unable to take the IELTS test. Will I be able to secure my place without it?

We accept a range of SELTs test for international students; see table below:


SELT Provider


Approved SELT


CEFR Level


Minimum Score required for each Component



IELTS SELT Consortium IELTS for UKVI (Academic) B2 5.5 Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing
LanguageCert LanguageCert International ESOL SELT B2 B2 33/50 Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing
Pearson PTE Academic UKVI B2 59 Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing
Psi Services (UK) Ltd Skills for English UKVI B2 B2 Pass Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing

For more details, please refer to our International Students page.

Will the UKVI ask me to attend an interview?

If you from a non-low risk country you may be interviewed however, the UKVI may decide to interview any applicant, so you need to always be prepared.

What is a pre-CAS credibility interview?

It is an interview we conduct to assist you with preparing for a UKVI interview before we issue you with a CAS.

Do I need to attend a pre-CAS credibility interview?

You will only be interviewed by us if you are from a non-low risk country and making an application from your country of nationality or residence. More details about interviews can be found here.

Do I need to submit my financial documents to be checked before I get issued a CAS?

We will only check your financial documents before we issue you with a CAS if you are from a non-low risk country and making an application from your country of nationality or residence. More information about financial documents can be found here.

I don’t know how to complete my online visa application form. Can someone help me?

Yes. If you are not sure about how to complete your online visa application form, our Compliance Manager can guide and assist you. You can contact our Compliance Manager at or telephone +44(0)20 7078 8840

I have submitted my online visa application but the VAC near me is closed. What do I do?

Most UK Visa Application Centres (VACs) have resumed services where local restrictions allow. If the VAC near you is closed due to Covid-19 restrictions, you can apply online and select a VAC in another country worldwide to submit your application and biometrics. You’ll need to make sure you’re permitted to travel to that country before you travel there.

For more information, and for updates to the status of VACs, including opening times in your country, check with:

  • TLS contact if you’re in Europe, Africa and parts of the Middle East
  • VFS global for all other countries

 You must select the country where you would like to submit your biometrics at the start of your application. This concession has been extended to 31 December 2021.

I cannot get an early appointment at an approved UKVI SELT centre near me. What do I do?

You should be able to take a test within 28 days of booking, but it may not always be at the location nearest to you.

There is no approved UKVI SELT centre in my country. What do I do?

If there is not an approved test location in your country, you will have to travel to another country to take the test. More information can be found here.

My visa application is taking too long to be processed and my course is about to start. What do I do?

We can contact the UKVI for an update on your application. Please contact our Compliance Manager for advice and guidance at or telephone +44(0)20 7078 8840.

I have received my visa but no longer wish to travel to the UK because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Can I continue to study online for the rest of my course?

Please contact our Compliance Manager for advice and guidance at or telephone +44(0)20 7078 8840.

I have received my visa but cannot travel to the UK because of travel restrictions in my country. What do I do?

You should only apply to replace an expired vignette when you are confident you can travel to the UK. If you have submitted an application for a replacement vignette, and are still awaiting a decision, but now no longer intend to travel, you should submit a withdrawal request at the VAC that you applied from in order for your passport to be released back to you.

My 90-day vignette has expired before I can travel to the UK. Can I apply for a replacement?

Yes. If your 90-day vignette has expired, you will need to apply for a replacement by completing the online form. The cost of replacing an expired 90-day vignette is £154 and you will need to make an appointment to resubmit your biometric information.

Do I need to register with the police when I arrive in the UK?

If you are a citizen of any of the countries listed here, you must register with the police. The condition to register with the police will be stated on your 30-day vignette. Usually you must register with the police within 7 days of arrive in the UK but if the OVRO office in London is closed due to Covid-19 lockdown restrictions, you will not face any penalty action for delayed registration. You must however register as soon as the office reopens.

You must also tell the police if any of the information you gave them has changed, or you have applied for a new visa. More details on registering with the police can be found here.

What if I decide to return to my home country before I finish my course because of the pandemic, can I continue my studies online?

You need to contact our Compliance Manager for advice and guidance at or telephone +44(0)20 7078 8840.

Can I bring my dependant(s) to the UK?

As you will be studying a course that is at degree level with us, you would not be able to bring your dependant(s) to the UK. However, if you to progress to study a master’s course that is at least 9 months long, you will be able to bring your dependant(s) to the UK. More information can be found here.

My permission to stay in the UK is about to expire before I can finish my degree. What do I do?

You must apply for an extension of your existing permission to stay in UK before it expires in order to finish your degree. You will need to get a new CAS and we can help you make your application. Please contact our Compliance Manager for advice and guidance at or telephone +44(0)20 7078 8840.

Can I work as well as study if I have a Student visa?

Yes. The main purpose of a student visa under the Student Route is that you come to the UK for study, however, as we are a student sponsor with track record of compliance, our students are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during term time (full time during the holidays).

For more information please read our International Sponsored Student Guide or visit our International Students page.

Alternatively, you can contact our Compliance Manager at or telephone +44(0)20 7078 8840.


Do you have any scholarships available?

Yes, a number of scholarships are available at Bloomsbury Institute – we understand that higher education is never a cheap option, and we don’t want money issues to stop you from fulfilling your ambitions. That’s why we’ve designed a range of bursaries and scholarships to help you along the way.

Offer Holders

How do I get my ID card?

We issue student ID cards at the start of the year and they allow you access to the campus and are part of a tool that monitors class attendance. If lost, fees may apply for a replacement.

How do I get my library card?

Our Academic Registry team will email you about your library card around the start of term time. If you don’t receive an email or your card has expired, raise a request through SSP (Student Service Portal). It may take up to two weeks to receive it, but daily passes are available for emergencies.

How can I enquire about my timetable?

Please raise a request through SSP for timetable changes, stating the reason for the change and its priority level (low, medium or high).

Enrolled Students

Assignments and Exams 

I cannot quite finish my assignment on time. I can get it ready to submit by a few days after the submission deadline. What should I do?

You can submit any piece of work up to 7 calendar days after the deadline.  However, the mark will be capped at 40%.  This means that however good the work is, the maximum mark you can receive is 40%.

I have come down with the flu and with the assignment submission date fast approaching, I know I will not be able to submit on time. What should I do?

It may be possible for students to agree an extension to submit their coursework up to a maximum of 2 weeks after the deadline. This only applies in the case of first submission opportunities; it does not apply to second ‘resit’ opportunities.

To apply for an extension, students should make a request via the Student Self-service Portal (SSP) with any relevant supporting documentation.  The Extension Request Form can be found here and needs to be submitted via SSP, along evidence. You will be notified of the decision by the Academic Administrator responsible for your course.

All students – please submit your completed form, along with any evidence, via the SSP.

A member of my family has very recently become seriously ill and I am the only carer. I have assignments and exams coming up very soon. I don’t want to give up my studies, I just need to put off the work for now and catch up later. What should I do?’

This type of very serious event, which could not have been predicted, would fall under a Mitigating Circumstances Application. The first step would be for a student to raise a SSP request and state the circumstances briefly but clearly.  Registry will then advise whether the request fits within Mitigating Circumstances and, if it does, will direct the student to complete and submit (via the SSP) an application form and any evidence that can be provided. The Mitigating Circumstances Application Form can be found here. Applications are logged by Registry and then sent to the University of Northampton for a decision.

Under no circumstances should students send Mitigating Circumstances applications directly to the University of Northampton.

Remember that mitigating circumstances can be defined as being events that have significantly disrupted a student’s studies.  They must be serious or acute and beyond a student’s ability to foresee and control. Often, a simple extension will be an adequate solution for a student who has been unable to submit work on time. Where matters are more serious and an extension is not enough, mitigating circumstances should be applied for.

Students should download the Mitigating Circumstances Application Form here and submit along with any evidence, via the SSP. 


I am not very happy with the way I have been taught recently – can I complain?

We hope this kind of issue never arises, but if you feel you want to complain, then please let Bloomsbury Institute try and resolve things informally and face to face. Please do approach a member of staff that you feel is most relevant to the nature of your complaint. In this example, it would be best to talk to the lecturer(s) concerned or if this is awkward, then arrange to see the Course Leader for your course.  Additionally, or alternatively, discuss the matter in person with an Advisor in the Centre for Student Engagement, Wellbeing and Success. If they cannot resolve the matter, you will need to make the complaint formal and submit a Student Complaint Form to us.  Send the form for the attention of the Academic Registrar at or hand it in at Reception.

Students who are considering making a complaint should consult with Bloomsbury Institute’s Registry in the first instance at Registry will be able to advise or seek further information as to whether the complaint should be dealt with under Bloomsbury Institute’s procedure or that of the University of Northampton.

Students are entitled to impartial and confidential advice. If a student wishes to discuss a matter that they feel is sensitive in any way, then please speak to an Advisor in our Centre for Student Engagement, Wellbeing and Success or email  ( who will be able to direct you to an appropriate advisory service.

Full information about the complaint process and procedure can be found by clicking here.

Please always discuss the matter informally first.  If we cannot resolve the issue informally, then submit a Student Complaint Form to

I have just received my assignment grade and I am not happy. I think the markers have not followed the correct procedure and this has affected my grade. Can I appeal?

Before making a formal Assessment appeal (by completing a form), students should discuss the matter informally with a member of the academic team; this could be your lecturer or Course Leader.  We may be able to resolve the matter without the need for a formal appeal.  If you do submit a formal appeal, Bloomsbury Institute will forward the completed application form to the University of Northampton for a decision. Please send your appeal application to or submit a completed form in person at Reception for the attention of the Academic Registrar.

Students must note that disagreement with the academic judgement of an Examination Board in assessing the merits of an individual piece of work, or in reaching any assessment decision based on the marks, grades or other information relating to a student’s performance is not grounds for a claim.

Students are entitled to impartial and confidential advice; if a student wishes to discuss a matter that they feel is sensitive in any way, then an Advisor in our Centre for Student Engagement, Wellbeing and Success should be approached (via Reception or to direct the student to appropriate advisory services.


    • Seek to resolve the matter informally first. If not resolved, submit an University Of Northampton Academic Appeal Guide & Form
    • Read the University of Northampton Policy here.  Submit your Academic Appeal Form to Bloomsbury Institute (through SSP) and not to the University of Northampton.  Bloomsbury Institute will log the submission and forward onto the University of Northampton, following any necessary discussions with the student.


When and how can I re-enrol?

Please get in touch with your academic administrator if you have any re-enrolment queries by emailing or alternatively raise a request on SSP.

I do not want to re-enrol, what should I do?

If you want to withdraw from the course, please contact the academic administration department at or alternatively raise a request on SSP.

I have failed a module, what is my next step?

If you have failed a module this academic year, you will need to retake the module next year.

I didn’t pass all my modules on Foundation Year – what’s going to happen?

If you passed 1, 2 or 3 Foundation Year modules, you will be able to retake your failed modules next year. However, you will not be able to progress to the next level. Your tutors will be able to offer you face-to-face or online tutorials, send useful learning resources and help plan your time and workload.

I haven’t received my final grade for this year. Should I wait until I do before applying for finance?

It’s a good idea to apply for funding early, even before you have received your final grade for the year, to allow SFE to process your application. If for any reason you do not continue with your course, your application can be cancelled, and you would not be charged.


I have missed classes as I have been ill.  What should I do?

To cover the first 7 days of sickness, you should upload to the Student Self-service Portal (SSP) a Self-certification Form.

However, if you are absent through sickness for more than 7 days, you will need to provide documentary evidence of this e.g. a letter from your doctor or counsellor to confirm your illness.  The letter should be current and indicate the period affected with precise dates.  You can find further information on this in our Engagement Policy.

Study break and Withdrawals

My family circumstances have suddenly changed and I cannot now continue on the course, but believe I will be able to come back in a year.  What should I do?

We would recommend you first discuss the matter in person with an Advisor in the Centre for Student Engagement, Wellbeing and Success or email  After this, you would need to complete the Study Break Form found here and submit this to us via the SSP.

I have decided that the course is not for me and I am sure that I want to leave and not come back. What should I do?

We will, of course,  respect your wishes, but first, please do come in and have a quick chat with an Advisor in the Centre for Student Engagement, Wellbeing and Success.  There could be another way for you to consider and of course, there could be financial or other implications.  It is very important that a Withdrawal Form is completed and submitted to us, so it is very clear to both Bloomsbury Institute and yourself of the date that you left us and the reason(s) for this. The Withdrawal Form can be found here and needs to be submitted via the SSP or by email to

You can also view our Student Transfer Arrangements here.

Transferring Course

I have started my course but actually now think I should have chosen a different course.  Can I change?

This depends on two things: whether you have the right academic credentials for the different course and at what point in time you are asking to transfer courses.  As part of any possible transfer process, students need to meet with the Course Leader for their current course.  During the meeting, the Course Leader will be able to establish whether a student is able to transfer (and whether there are any additional requirements) and also to tell you if it’s too late or not.  Generally speaking, transfers will not be possible beyond the first three weeks of commencement of study.