English language requirement
UKVI Secure English Language Test (SELT)
For your application, you will need to pass a Secure English Language Test (SELT) approved by the UKVI.
You can take any one of the following UKVI approved tests, at a centre also approved by the UKVI:
|SELT Provider||Approved SELT||CEFR Level||Minimum Score Required for each Component||Components|
|IELTS SELT Consortium||IELTS for UKVI (Academic)||B2||5.5||Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing|
|LanguageCert||LanguageCert International ESOL SELT B2||B2||33/50||Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing|
|Pearson||PTE Academic UKVI||B2||59||Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing|
|Psi Services (UK) Ltd||Skills for English UKVI B2||B2||Pass||Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing|
For IELTS for UKVI (Academic) tests, we accept the following scores for our undergraduate courses:
- IELTS 5.5 overall with all components at 5.5 or above (for all 4-year undergraduate courses)
- IELTS 6.0 overall with all components at 5.5 or above (for all 3 and 2-year undergraduate courses).
If you met the English requirement in a previous visa application, and you require the same level of English in the new application, you do not need to provide a new UKVI SELT. As an institution, we require for the SELT to still be valid. A SELT must not be more than two years from the date of submitting your online visa application.
English Password Skills Solo Test
You can also take our English Password Skills Solo Test. The test normally costs around £71, but we make this payment on your behalf to support you through the application process.
For this reason, this test cannot be used for admission elsewhere. If you require a second attempt, you will need to make a payment of approximately £65. Please note that applicants will not be permitted to take the test more than twice in one academic year. For more information on this test, click here.
Exemptions from taking an English language test
You will be exempt from providing an English language test qualification if:
- You completed a GCSE, A Level or Scottish Higher in English in the UK, which was commenced before you turned 18 The qualification must be in English literature or English language. The qualification must be in English literature or English language and be issued by an Ofqual, SQA, Qualifications Wales or CCEA regulated awarding body in the UK. You must also have undertaken your education at a UK based school.
- You are a national of a majority English speaking country.
- You previously completed an academic qualification equivalent to a UK degree which was taught in a “majority English-speaking” country.
- You previously completed an academic qualification equivalent to a UK degree which was taught in a “non-majority English-speaking” country.
- You obtained an academic degree qualification from an educational establishment in the UK, which is a bachelor’s degree or above.
- You can find more details about SELT exemptions on the following link: UKVI SELT exemptions.
If you have any questions regarding the English Password Skills Solo test or any of the above information, please contact our Compliance Manager at email@example.com or call us on +44(0)20 7078 8840.