We know that students in the UK have been struggling during the cost of living crisis, many have reported skipping meals and working longer hours to get by. According to The Sutton Report, 1 in 4 students are saying financial worries are affecting their ability to complete their degree.
Discounts and offers for students
Some students can turn to their families for support but this is not an option for everyone. There are some offers and deals out there that may be of use, here are some of our favourite savings:
- Save The Student has some great freebies and deals on every aspect of student life which are worth regularly checking
- StudentBeans also has a range of student focussed discounts
- After 6pm, many supermarkets start reducing items that need to be used that day, so you can get a bargain if you can be flexible about what you’ll be having for dinner
- If you don’t feel like cooking, some chain restaurants, including Itsu and Pret A Manger will sell products at half-price just before closing time
- There are also several supermarket cashback apps that can offer deals
- Love music, hate the ads? Did you know that there’s a student Spotify? It’s almost half the price of Spotify Premium. Find out more here.
- You can save money on the go too, check out Student Beans’s travel for students offers.
- If you have a valid National Railcard, you can ask a member of staff at any tube station to link it to your Oyster card. Once they’re connected, you’ll save ⅓ on off-peak fares on the Underground, Overground, DLR and National Rail services in London, find out more here.
Keeping to a budget is difficult at the best of times, even more so when everything costs so much more than it did before. It’s not exactly fun but planning ahead can help make life a little easier. MoneySavingExpert has some useful tips on how to budget.
Help and support
If you’re struggling, please do come speak to SEWS. We have a Hardship Fund to help students in financial difficulties and can help guide you with your application or any other support which might be available to you.