Applying for a visa

How you apply for a visa will differ depending on when you enter the UK.

The UK left the European Union (EU) on 31 January 2020. From then until 31 December 2020, a transition period was in place, allowing freedom of movement between the UK and EU.

Students entering the UK on or before 31 December 2020 will be able to study here without restriction as long as they apply for pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Students entering the UK after 31 December 2020 will need to apply for a visa in the same way as any other non-UK national, via the new Student route.

Entering the UK before 31 December 2020

EU Settlement Scheme

If you are a EU, EEA or Swiss resident in the UK by 31 December 2020, you can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

The deadline to apply is 30 June 2021 and you will need to apply if you wish to continue living and studying in the UK.

Students should still apply to the EU Settlement Scheme even if they do not intend to stay in the UK

It is free to apply and applications can be made online on GOV.UK:

Apply now on GOV.UK

Entering the UK from 1 January 2021

Student Route

All prospective international students, including EU, EEA and Swiss nationals, entering after 1 January 2021 can now apply for their visa to study in the UK.

We advise you apply to study with us first and have your offer confirmed before you make a visa application.

For more information on how to apply, click here.

To apply for a visa, you will need to apply via the new Student route:

Apply now on GOV.UK

If you are aged 17 and under, you will need to apply via the Child Student route.

Apply now on GOV.UK

Further guidance for EU/EEA and Swiss students can be found here.

Applying via the Student route

All students applying to the new Student route will need to demonstrate they meet the required 70 points.

To achieve the required points, you will need to demonstrate your offer from an approved educational institution as well as your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) by your sponsor.  This needs to be done before you apply via the Student route.

You will also need to speak English and ensure you can support yourselves during your studies in the UK.

A Student visa will cost £348 if applied for outside the UK and students will also need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge as part of their application.

This gives you access to the UK’s National Health Service on generally the same basis as a UK permanent resident.

Students will receive a 25% discount on the Immigration Health Surcharge. The Immigration Health Surcharge increased on 27 October 2020 and the discounted rate for Student visa holders is £470.