From 2001, I was Deputy Principal at Norwich School of Art and Design, becoming Pro-Vice Chancellor (Quality) and Dean of Media when we were granted university title in 2012. I left in 2014 to work in consultancy, mainly in the areas of strategy, governance and management, organisational change and development, degree-awarding powers and quality assurance. I am also an executive coach with senior leaders in HE and the creative industries.
I am Chair of ThinkSpace Education, which specialises in online Master’s programmes in composition and sound for film, television and games. Previous governance roles include:
- Chair, Board of Trustees, Cinema City, Norwich
- Non-executive Director and Chair of Academic Board, London College of Contemporary Media
- Quality Strategy Network, Executive Committee
- Norwich UNESCO City of Literature Steering Group
- Guild HE Research Network and Quality Management Network
- Association of Universities in the East of England, Steering Committee
- Screen East, Board and Audit Committee
I am passionate about small and specialist HE providers, and their ability to punch above their weight in terms of the quality of the student experience. Over the years, I have been fortunate to work with many, including providers in the arts and media, the natural economy and business.
Away from my professional life, I enjoy spending time with family and friends, reading, film and TV drama, walking, and when possible, doing absolutely nothing.
Qualifications, Affiliations and Memberships
- Fellow of the Institute of Leadership and Management, 2018
- ILM Level 7 Certificate in Executive Coaching and Mentoring, Management Futures Consulting Ltd, London, 2014-17
- Leadership Foundation for Higher Education, Top Management Programme, 2009-10
- Bournemouth University, PG Certificate Management Studies, 1999
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, 1987
- University of East Anglia, MA Film Studies, 1984-85
- North Staffordshire Polytechnic, BA Hons History of Design, 1981-84